Monday, December 06, 2004

Monday is No Fun Day

I hate Monday and today is a very Monday Monday. Work bums me out because I wonder how much longer I'll actually be here and when I think it could be just one more semester I start to lose motivation. At least the evaluations have already been submitted and this is the last week of classes. I can get through a few more days of this.
I thought I was all cool with the holidays and how and with whom we would be celebrating them, but that apparently is being turned upside down right now. Chanukah starts tomorrow night and I don't even have a menorah. I'm not a very religious Jew, but I am Jew enough to know in the overall scheme of things, Chanukah is not a big deal, not like Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur. It has been said about me before, and I'll say it again-- I'm a bad jew. Sue me. That and a few bucks will get you a latte at Starbucks.
The day started out okay enough. I got up and did a short "power yoga" workout that I found on On Demand. I pay enough for the damn tv service every month, I might as well use some of the features. And if I can use them to actually get up off my ass and exercise a bit, well that's just peachy. Yup, everything's peachy. Except my sucky mood and I'll keep that to myself and my blog.

2 comments:

Joel said...

What makes you a bad Jew? Isn't that like saying you're a bad person?

I never got that impression.

Pam said...

I don't think being a bad jew is the same as being a bad person (although I could probably find you someone who would be willing to tell you I'm both). I never was Bat Mitzvah-ed and actually quit Hebrew school in protest over the Rabbi's horrible pedagogy. I don't observe the sabbath. I don't go to temple on the High Holidays. I didn't marry within the faith. I don't teach my daughter how to be Jewish except for observing Hanukkah, which isn't really a big deal among the Jewish holidays anyway. I take offense at the whole thing about being "the chosen people". I'm a non-practicing Jew. I seem to have lost my old comments, but last year someone reprimanded me for not embracing my Jewishness more. I figure it's their problem, not mine.