Monday, December 27, 2004

Tsunami

There was a time when I used to have nightmares about tidal waves. I had dreams of them washing into Waikiki as a wall of water as tall as the big hotels there. From what I have read it's not so much the height of the wave as the length of it. It's the way they continue to move in and don't recede. There is no way I can even begin to comprehend the magnitude of the disaster in Southeast Asia. Some of my friends vacation there this time of year and the local tv news here ran a story about a local family who are travelling the world for a year and were separated, and fortunately reunited after disaster in Thailand, but that's not the real story and I wonder how the stories of people so privileged can trump the story of the collosal damage caused to tens of thousands of people who didn't have much to start with, at least not compared to our ways of life.

No comments: