Wednesday, December 01, 2004

Animal Instinct

All this dwindling daylight is making me want to eat like there's no tomorrow. This is the season of the battle between willpower and the animal urge to plump up those fat stores to get you through the barren months of winter. I try to explain to my fat stores that I live in a heated residence and there's plenty of food available no matter what the season is. They don't always want to listen to my brand of reason.
I try to fool them by drinking hot herbal tea. They say, "How about a cookie to go with that beverage?" I knit, because you can't eat and knit at the same time. That actually works out pretty well. It stops me from eating and shortens the list of Christmas presents I need to go out and buy.
I stopped waking up early to do yoga because the sun doesn't rise until nearly 7 these days. Doing yoga in the dark wasn't my intention. Doing yoga as the sky lightened was. By the time the sky is brightening, it's already the part in the morning routine where I'm checking my email, making our lunches, and trying to convince the girl to come out from under the covers. We have a routine. Her clock radio goes off. I let it play until the djs get so stupid that I go in her room and hit the snooze button. It goes off again 9 minutes later. I go in and turn it off and then I wake her up. Good thing I got her that radio alarm clock back in September, huh?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have a theory about all this winter eating: we're mammals, we should be in hibernation or some sort of a slow-down phase. Unfortunately, our society won't appreciate it if we take the next 3 months off to stay in bed. So, our body compensates by making us eat more..."what do you mean, I've got to do things? Do you know how much energy that requires? Oh, yeah, well, here...eat a cookie, I need a cookie..."