Thursday, October 07, 2004

Crossing Paths Again

It's funny how people turn up in unexpected places. Six or seven years ago when I was living and teaching in Japan I came across a site called Real Japan created by a Japanese-American high school student in Texas. The site was interesting, funny and cool looking. I wrote to the creator and asked her if she would mind if I used the site in a class I was teaching called "Japanese Society in English". She agreed and said she was flattered that her site would be used in a college class. We emailed back and forth a few times, but that came to an end, as those things tend to do.
This morning I was reading through the huge back log of posts I have for the Honyaku mailing list for translators working between Japanese and English. I saw a familiar name on a post by a translator new to the job. It turns out to be the same Alisa from the Real Japan site. Now I'm going to go to class and teach my current students about her site, too.

2 comments:

Alisa Sanada said...

再びこんにちは。 I was surfing the net and found this post lol. いや~、恥ずかしいですねw。HonyakuMLではバカな自分がばればれなんでw。しかし本当うれしいです!色んな意味で・・・覚えててくれてるなんて。しかも、今はReal Japanのサイトは完全に死んでるんで申し訳ないぐらいです。

Pam said...

ご無沙汰ですね!
Keep in mind that a lot of people on Honyaku are grumpy old men. The same grumpy old guys that have been on there since I got on there many many years ago. If you meet and talk to them at an IJET or something, most of them are pretty nice in reality.
今大阪に住んでいるでしょう?いや〜、なつかしいです。
これからも頑張りましょうね!