Tuesday, October 12, 2004

32,000

Nine bodies found in group suicides in Japan
I don't really want to write about this, but I don't feel like I can let it pass by without comment.
A Japanese university professor is quoted in the article as saying, ""Young people today don't have a sense of reality about death. They are approaching it as an extension of a game in cyberworld." And he says suicide might be on the rise because young Japanese have had little exposure to the death of relatives, compared to previous generations. That sounds like bullshit to me. I don't think it's that they are approaching death as an extension of a game in cyberworld. I think they might lack proof that life has more to offer.

3 comments:

Pam said...

32,000 was quoted as the number of Japanese who committed suicide last year.

Anonymous said...

How many of those who died jumped in front of pumpkin trains?

Pam said...

Pumpkin trains? Not too sure about the number of pumpkin train suicides. (That's a catchy phrase, isn't it?)
I am pretty sure about that ac.jp IP address you're surfing from though! ;)