Friday, February 18, 2005

What's for Dinner?

Sometimes I really need to make a concerted effort to free myself from the assumption that I am supposed to be acting as The Wife or The Mom in situations where I don't necessarily need to fill either of those roles. The whole role of Wife I created in my mind is heavily tied into some crazy retro image of domestic servant/perky hostess-- someone who always knows what's for dinner and makes sure it's cooked and on the table at the proper time.
I enjoy cooking and turning out a good meal when I have the time and the inclination, but when I have work to do that pays well and involves a deadline, I need to realize it's okay for it to be nearly 5 o'clock and for me to not have a clue at all about what dinner will be. Especially not after I just got home from the day job and ate a couple of valentine chocolates and a plain toasted multigrain waffle.

No comments: