Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Pretentious Emo Boy, This Is For You or Why I Buy Books Online

I stopped by the local Barnes and Noble this afternoon while I was running some errands and browsed the messy shelves while listening to Pretentious Emo Book Boy in his dyed black hair and studded belt talk to some other clerk about how classical music makes children smarter and how he can't stand this, that and the other thing. As I was looking over one of the table displays I spotted a book I thought would make a great birthday present for my niece, who is about to turn 13. But the copy of the book out on the table was kind of tattered. I searched the shelves myself where I figured that type of book would be located, but had no luck finding it. Then I went over to the little help island in the middle of the store. There was a woman there taking an order over the phone who ignored me completely. Then there was Emo Boy who came over to look up something on the computer, told me he couldn't help me now and then walked away.
I decided this was nonsense, especially when I looked over and saw Emo Boy had found whatever he needed to find but still had no apparent intention of assisting me. I put the tattered book back on the table, walked past Emo Boy and out the door. That kind of crap is exactly why I mostly order from Amazon now.

No comments: