Thursday, April 15, 2004

Life As An Experiment In Sleep Deprivation

I have probably not had a sound night's sleep in well over a month. Certainly haven't gotten a solid eight hours of sleep in recent memory. Through this little accidental experiment I have discovered that five hours of sleep suffices, six and a half hours is plenty and even with just two or three hours of broken sleep, I can function enough to get by. To make up for the lack of sleep, I try to remember to breathe deeply and when I get up every morning I do some Half Sun Salutations. That and remembering to eat, hydrate, and caffeinate are the things I'm doing to take care of myself. Family and friends are picking up the rest of the slack and keep reminding me to treat myself well. In the past my response to stressful situations has been to get even more spartan and stoic on myself. I think the current approach works better.

No comments: