OK. It appears that I am creating disturbances with the functions of computer equipment. A couple of days ago in Murkland I had the G5 and the video equipment get a little funky. And just now my iPod decided it could really update after all. Now, just a couple of hours ago I did all the things it said to do to get the iPod to update so that I could load my legally purchased music onto it. Nothing worked. I left the computer alone for a couple of hours. I came back just now, saw Jerry's comment below, and plugged the iPod back in to follow his advice. As soon as I did, the updater launched automatically as it should and it all worked perfectly.
I think I'm radioactive or something.