Tuesday, March 23, 2004

To Whom It May Concern

I've forgotten a lot of what I learned in grad school, but one thing that has stuck in my mind was something I heard in Prof. David Ashworth's pedagogy class. I'm not sure it whether it had any direct connection to pedagogy or whether it was a tangent. I think he went on some pretty good tangents at times.
Anwyay, this thing that I remembered I have remembered imperfectly. It had something to do with the universe being filled with To Whom It May Concern messages and the point I believe he made was that the world is filled with these messages that are flying around us all the time and the ones that mean something to us are the ones we pick up on and pay attention to.
I started searching around the net last night to see if I could find where the idea comes from and found it's from Norbert Wiener, a mathematician, early computing pioineer and coiner of the term cybernetics.
There's a brief mention of the To Whom it May Concern messages in this essay,howard rheingold's | tools for thought.

No comments: