Sunday, March 19, 2006

1970s Mac and Cheese Quest

When I was a kid my mother used to make the best macaroni and cheese in the world. I used to sneak down to the kitchen and eat it cold for breakfast and sometimes even picked off cold hunks of it straight out of the fridge.
I only made it once or twice myself, probably when I was in high school or college. Now my mom has a variety of food allergies and no longer eats anything containing dairy or gluten, so I know she hasn't made her macaroni and cheese for a very long time. I'd ask her for the recipe but I think she's probably forgotten it and/or would shudder at the thought of having to think of and recite the list of now-offensive ingredients. I know she used elbow macaroni. The final product was topped with crushed Ritz crackers and baked in the oven in a big 11 x 15 inch rectangular casserole dish. Cheeze Whiz and Veveeta were involved.
Today at Walmart I happened upon the mother load of Cheeze Whiz and Velveeta on the shelf right next to the macaroni. I've got Ritz crackers in the cabinet. I'm not sure how all the pieces fit together, but sometime soon I will be attempting to recreate that splendorous flavor of my youth. If anyone has any hints or knows the recipe I'm talking about, please let me know. I don't think it's one mom dreamt up by herself.

No comments: