Friday, July 09, 2004

The Mare Downstairs

Last night the mare in the stall that is right below my kitchen was colicking. I'm not really a horse person, but I spend enough time around horsey people to know that horses can die from colic. Their guts get blocked or twisted and horses can't vomit, so if things get really bad and blocked and what's inside can't some out the back end, their insides can explode and they die.
There is a window at the bottom of the stairs at the door leading into the apartment that looks into the mare's stall. There was a lot of noise last night and the light in the stalll was on, so I went down to have a look and see what was going on. My landlady was in the stall with the horse and said she had found the mare covered in mud laying down beside the shed out in the pasture earlier. She brought her inside and had her up on her feet, but the horse was still in some danger and the vet was on the way. The vet came and went and as I was lying in bed I heard a lot of kicking on the wall downstairs. I went and looked into the stall and the mare was down on her side, kicking at the walls trying to stand up. He eyes looked okay and I saw her occasionally chomping at some hay that was in the corner of the stall, so I figured that was a good sign. She stopped kicking after a short time and she didn't look sweaty or crazy eyed. The light was still on in the stall and I figured my landlady would be out to check on her again, so I went back upstairs and went to bed.
When I woke up this morning I wondered how the mare was, so I went down to look into her stall. When I did I found myself staring her right in the face. She was up and there was some poop on the floor, which meant things were moving and she was ok. Horses are so big and look like such strong animals, but they really are delicate in many ways. I'm afraid of heights, so I'm not interested in riding, but I like being around horses.

No comments: