Saturday, March 08, 2003

I would really like to get out of the apartment and go for a jog today but the weather is doing the kitsune no yome-iri thing right now-- raining as the sun shines. This always reminds me of a scene from Akira Kurosawa's Dreams, where a young boy hides in the woods and spys on a fox wedding procession.
Wouldn't say that Dreams is my favorite Kurosawa film though. I'd say that's a toss up between Ran and Ikiru.
Last year when I was back home the NH Japan Society sponsored a free screening of a 2 hour documentary on Kurosawa's life at The Music Hall in Portsmouth. Not only was admission free, the co-producer of the film and a woman who had been Kurosawa's assistant for decades introduced the film and then answered questions after the screening. And there were free refreshments. ; ) That's an opportunity I can never imagine happening here in Japan.
Looks like the sun is winning now. Better get out there while I can.

No comments: