Sunday, November 20, 2005

Weigh Away

If you're a guy, you most likely won't get this post at all so move along if you like.
If you're a girl/gal/woman/chick/female, you might understand this very well, unfortunately.
Because I opted not to shower yesterday I ended up going a full 48 hours without stepping on a scale. I honestly cannot tell you the last time that has happened. And the funny thing is, even though I ate out for dinner both nights, when I weighed myself this morning the scale was absolutely normal, at three pounds above what I think I'm "supposed" to weigh at max.
Now this is retarded on several counts. First, why do I weigh myself at least once, if not several times, a day? Does that make any sense? No, but if the digital display is within what I consider acceptable I'm fine and if not I will fret about what big pig I am. If it has gone down from the previous day, then I'm happy. If not, then I'm not.
Second, Why is it that no matter what I weigh, it is almost always three to five pounds more than what I think is acceptable? When I weighed more than this, my current weight would have fallen into an acceptable range. When I weighed five pounds less than I do now, that was three pounds more than I thought I should weigh. Does anyone else notice three pounds but me? Probably not. I'm forty years old, for crying out loud. I was like this in high school and didn't really dream it was going to be a lifelong situation. I know it's not just me, either.

2 comments:

welfare mum said...

Nope. It's not just you. I think the majority of women in this country have issues with their weight. Society puts pressure on us from day 1, and it rings in your head all your life.
I took a women's studies class my first year of college, and wow.. did it change the way I think about alot of things. I threw out my scale and have not weighed myself since. I've never been more comfortable with my body, either. Strange, huh?

Heidi said...

i thought i would get a break from the scale while being pregnant, but after my last dr. visit (she dropped a subtle hint about my weight.) i am feeling just as 'guilty' about everything that goes into my mouth and having a fair amount of anxiety of how my body is going to be 'ruined' and how i might never get into my prepreg pants again. or my premarried life pants again for that matter.