Monday, November 17, 2003

How Did I Get Here

I've worked long enough now to know that I like a satisfying job that pays less more than a job I can't stand that pays more. It doesn't even have to be a job I can't stand. One that annoys the hell out of me isn't worth it either.
Last year at this time I was teaching lethargic students and was feeling that way myself. The paycheck was fat. The apartment was tiny and heated by a kerosene fan heater. I spent a disproportionate amount of time wishing to be elsewhere. All in all, it kind of sucked.
Now I have a job I really enjoy even though the pay is crappy, the benefits nonexistent and the future prospects don't exactly appear to be burning brightly in the near or far distance. So on the security scale I'm hovering low-- no health insurance, no job security, just making ends meet. Welcome back to America.
On the other hand, we have a house, a yard, a car and a dog. I'm in a band and writing songs with my sister. I sleep well at night and wake up feeling pretty good almost every day. I feel like a completely different person than I was last year. Wouldn't want to be where I was then now.

No comments: