Monday, September 29, 2003

Your Mileage May Vary (But I Doubt It)

If you are one of those people who have lived in Japan for a while and you're worried that, among other things, if you move back to the States (or where ever you may be from) you'll get fat, I hate to tell you this but, you're probably right. On the bright side, you probably won't care as much as you did in Japan because compared to the average person you run across in the course of a day you won't really feel so big after all.
Never one to possess a really positive self image to begin with, being in Japan completely messed with my mind. Even when I'd come back here on vacation and end up buying size 8s when I'd spent most of my life as a solid 12, I always felt enormous in Japan.
Now I've been back here in NH for about 5 months and I've put on a few pounds and I don't really care all that much. It could be that I'm getting old, fat and lazy (gasp!) or it could be that the lack of that constant personal spotlight of foreigness I wore in Japan has allowed me to stop being so paranoid about how others see me.
And hypocritically enough, I decide to go off on this tangent on the same day I logged back on to FitDay.com to try to drop the above mentioned few pounds before the holiday season starts to kick in. As Bugs might say, "What a hypomacrite!"

No comments: