Monday, August 04, 2003

Wiggy

A friend once said anything you write that is good is probably something you'd be embarassed for your parents to read. Well, by that definition Stef and I must have written some good lyrics for our song provisionally known as "Iggy".
Even though we had already spent the whole afternoon together at Dad's house for a cook out, I somehow managed to talk her into practicing yesterday evening. Didn't want to make it into a production by calling Chip so it was just Stef and me. We played around with a song we're going to cover and then we decided to take on the task of putting vocals and lyrics to "Iggy". It wasn't really my intention to make it into a catalogue of the bad men in my past, but it sort of ended up that way. Wonder if I'll ever be able to sing it without collapsing in a fit of laughter like we did last night.
Thought it was kind of wimpy of Stef to decline from adding something from her own experiences to the lyrics. She first suggested we do something kind of generic like a "you said you'd call but you didn't" theme. That sounded pretty weak to me but it somehow prompted me to come up with the opening line "Didn't know you were married 'til your wife called", which isn't exactly true to my experience, but within the realm of artistic license it's close enough.
Stephanie can drive me nuts sometimes. She says she wants to be all rocked out and in your face and then she gets all demure. Well, actually she did follow up my opening line with "Nice going buddy. You have no balls" which almost made me pee my pants from laughing so hard. I figure if we're going to get up there and entertain people we may as well be entertaining beyond the fact that we're two sisters with guitars and a drummer. Then again, I'm not held back by the fear that we're going to become major recording artistes and a big media sensation. I think Stef has lingering concerns that she and Chip (before I came along) could have been The White Stripes. I figure if we're lucky we can make ourselves a name as an entertaining local bar band.
I know I'm being bitchy but sometimes you just need to vent and that's what I started this blog for in the first place. And I'm pretty sure my sister never reads it anyway.

No comments: