Monday, August 11, 2003

Convenience Shopping in the Dog Days

Three houses down the street they have a big garden and a table set out where you can buy their vegetables. There's a scale hanging from a tree branch and a little tupperware bowl where you can leave your money. I walked over and got a zucchini to grill up with some pork ribs yesterday. It was very nice-- just zucchini, olive oil and a little kosher salt grilled over charcoal.
Today I'm making ratatouille. I got zucchini, summer squash, green pepper and a couple of tomatoes down the street and had to go to The Broken Pushcart for eggplant, garlic and red and orange peppers. I'm using herbs from our garden. Dinner will be ratatouille, couscous, toasted pita bread and hummus.
I guess when I have nothing more pressing to do I cook. That's not so bad. Better than sitting around watching E! or VH1. I hardly ever even watch tv of my own volition anymore. If I feel the need to space out in front of the tube after dinner I just watch whatever cartoons or kids shows my daughter is watching. I get my 30 minute fill of it and go do something else.
It seems I spend most of my time these days feeling like I'm not using it properly-- like I should be engaged in something more meaningful or at least profitable.

No comments: