Sunday, August 10, 2003

Ramble On

Big day today. I've got a mic, courtesy of Chip and Dave and the guy who plays the trumpet who Dave works with who has sold me his Shure SM58 for $45! Score! Yesterday I went to Earcraft and bought a mic stand, mic clip, mic cable and some strap locks (finally). I am all ready to rock and to sing. We'll be practicing with everyone miked for vocals for the first time in a couple of hours. I'm psyched, but...
Singing freaks me out. Japan was good because over the years I did get to the point where karaoke no longer freaked me out. Karaoke in Japan generally means sitting in a little room with your friends or whoever, who are all talking and/or looking through the catalog to figure out what song they're going to sing next. Alcohol may or may not be involved. It's not like anyone is really paying that much attention to how anyone else sings. It's looked on as a form of stress release, which I think is actually a very healthy outlet. So I guess I don't really hate karaoke after all. It's fun.
But karaoke is not the same as singing in a band. I am certainly no Mariah Carey, but I'm not tone deaf either. I led the alto section in chorus in 6th grade. I even got some sort of music award then too, but I can't remember what it was for. I'm just going to do it, damn it.
It's going to be like everything else I've ever done that I really wanted to do. At first I'm going to suck at it and then I'll keep doing it until I can do it. Then I'll probably get bored and wonder why I thought it was so great anyway and will look for something else that I can't do but want to try. Or maybe not.
Wow. How's that for a little Sunday morning cynicism. No wonder my daughter tells me I'm like Daria.

No comments: