Tuesday, August 05, 2003

What Is and Used to Be

When our friend was here visiting last week we took a little walking tour of Portsmouth. I'm either trying to overcompensate for being away for so long or I'm just getting old, but I have a tendency to refer to every shop and restaurant by what used to be there. So I see The Gap in Market Square and think, this used to be JJ Newberry's, the Coat of Arms that used to be Toucan's (ick). I even see Gilly's and remember it used to be parked on Congress Street when I was a kid.
On State Street we walked by this new restaurant which used to be The Victory Diner. I have dim memories of eating English muffins there at 2am on a Saturday morning, probably from back in the days when I used to use my sister's ID to go sneak into the Riverside where Bruce Pingree spun the (new wave) tunes.
Speaking of partying in Portsmouth-- Partyfight will be playing at the Coat of Arms in 2 days. Think I might have to go and see what those guys are up to these days.

No comments: