Friday, September 10, 2004

Procrastination on a Beautiful Day

It's too beautiful today. The sky is blue with puffy clouds that rarely seem to block the sun. There's a steady breeze riffling through the leaves that won't start to show their fall colors for a few more weeks. And just now I'm realizing that this new perch I have in my office is a little closer than I've ever been before to the office view I used to imagine. You know all those books about the power of visualization that advise you to see in great detail the things and places you want in life? I used to read them sometimes and I'd visualize an office with a desk in front of a window that was up in the trees, looking over cliffs down to the ocean.
Well, I don't have the cliffs and ocean part yet, but I do have a desk looking out a window that is nicely framed by the branches of a maple tree in the yard and a view of the quiet street and a gray ranch style house with a lot of black eyed susans planted around it. And actual work to do at this desk. Work that involves writing (well, translating, which is a form of writing) and being paid for it, while I sit here on a Friday afternoon, already home from my other job, with a nearly full cup of chai and a really intense feeling of deja vu, like this is something I read somewhere else a long time ago.

No comments: