Sunday, September 05, 2004

Eat Greek

This weekend I got to do something I had been saying I want to do every year-- go to the Greek Festival. I love Greek food and I don't know of any restaurants in the area that serve it anymore. When I was a kid, a friend of my dad had a restaurant in Portsmouth that had some greek dishes on the menu, but that was a long time ago. The only chance to eat real Greek food around here if you don't know someone who can make it for you is to go to the Greek Festival.
The festival is basically about the food, which is certainly fine with me. It was held at the Hellenic Center out on Long Hill Rd in a part of Dover I have never explored before. It looks like there are some nice, quiet neighborhoods out that way. There was dancing at the festival, but we missed the 12:30 show that was going on while we were standing in line for the food and we didn't really feel like hanging around until 2 for the next show. I'm sure the dancing was good, but we were so stuffed and the weather was so fine that going back home and taking a nice nap became the next order of business. (I love napping in the afternoon when the weather is beautiful. It feels so decadent.)
We ate good. I had the spanakopita (spinach pie) plate, dolmathes (stuffed grape leaves) and a little of my boyfriend's souvlaki (lamb kabob). The pastitsio (a meat and pasta casserole topped with cheese and bechamel sauce) looked good, too, but I didn't have room to try it. The didn't have moussaka on the menu, but they had several other dishes I had never tried before. There were also several long tables full of pastries, and the menu listed a baklava sundae that sounded like a marvelous idea, but I was too full from the meal to have desert. I just can't eat like I used to.
This is a great area to live in. It has a lot to offer, but I really wish there were restaurants serving good Greek and Korean food. If I could eat good spanakopita and good bibimbap once a month, I'd be really happy.

No comments: