Sunday, September 04, 2005

I Think It's Going to Be a Long Long Time

I don't know how to wrap my brain around the disaster caused by Hurricane Katrina. So many are so quick to play politics with the situation. Some use it as a chance to bash the current administration and others blame people for being born and living their lives in a region that is vulnerable to this type of disaster. There might be validity in all the accusations, but I don't see how they do anyone any good. All I can see are all the people who didn't have much to begin with who lost everything. I think there must be something I can do to help. My first thought was to donate money to the Red Cross, which I guess might be a start. Then I started thinking about how so many of the displaced are going to become refugees in their own country. On this evening's news I heard that 2,500 people would be brought to Camp Edwards in Massachusetts for up to two months with some likely to be resettled permanently. I'm wondering if maybe I can put my knitting habit to some good use in this situation. It may be dorky, but I wonder if it might help just a little.
Hmm, I just found Crafter's United which is raising money for Hurricane Katrina relief. Maybe that's someplace I can start.

No comments: