Saturday, January 15, 2005

Rant

I know this sounds kind of funny coming from someone who went to grad school to study classical Japanese literature, but the older I get and the more time I spend around academics, the more I think the liberal arts are mainly bullshit, mental masturbation and an excuse for rich kids not to get a job for a few more years after high school. I'm not saying people don't need to study literature and history, but honestly, what the fuck purpose do some of these "Post-modernism and representations of the planet zog in modern Hyberian cinema" type courses serve other than filling up teaching schedules and satifying elective requirements? If you can write 300 pages like this, you've got a dissertation and can then insist people call you Doctor.
If I were doing it over, I'd keep studying Japanese and pair it with a business or a law degree. If you're of college age and reading this, my advice would be to learn a skill or a craft. Be able to do something. Have something to offer when you graduate. Being able to write 8 page papers on random subjects really isn't a marketable skill in today's job market.
(hmm, after this little outburst I think I know someone who's going to come after me and take away my "liberal" card.) ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking back on the junk I took, and got grades on and what I should have done (like you more Japanes/business courses) I am reminded of what one of my Poli Sci profs said; that no matter what kinda of government one finds one in, there will always be a need for acountants, engineers and bartenders.