Sunday, January 23, 2005

Hunker Down

We've got a nice, big Nor'easter/blizzard going on right now. It started last night and has been snowing and blowing ever since. A big gust just came down the street and created a whiteout so I couldn't even see the houses across the street. The city trucks were out plowing throughout the night. They sound like moving earthquakes and I feel them as much as hear them.
I went to the supermarket yesterday afternoon and it was the most crowded I have ever seen in my life. The parking lot was full. There were no carts left in the store and everyone seemed to have the same reaction to seeing that big empty spot where the carts are usually parked right inside the door. They looked at the emptiness, laughed and went back out to the parking lot to scrounge up a cart out there. The check out lines stretched back to nearly the middle aisle of the market, but everyone was good natured about it. The coming storm was definitely one reason why it was so crowded, compounded with the fact that it was a Saturday afternoon and there's a big football game this afternoon, or this evening. (I'm not a big football fan.)
The local tv stations have all advised people to hunker down at home. According to the scrolling text along the bottom of the news screen, it seems that all the local churches have cancelled their services today. It's the first time I've ever seen that happen. I'm really enjoying this storm, but I can't help but wish it happened on a weekday for the school cancellation effect. ;)

No comments: