Friday, January 14, 2005

Don't Like The Weather? Wait a Minute

We get some really crazy weather here in New England. Early this morning (back around 7am while I was still cozily tucked away in bed) the temperature was around 60 degrees , about 15 for you celsius types. By about noon it was down near freezing. And pissing rain all the while.
I am having a slackaliscious day on this, my last free weekday before the semester begins. I slept in and then slept some more just because it was raining and I could. My sis called a little after 9 and convinced me I didn't need to shower to go meet her for breakfast at Harvey's-- our favorite, old school bakery/coffee shop. It's got wood paneled walls and wooden booths and the waitresses always refer to us as girls even though we average out to 42 years of age. And they never complain that we sit there forever. They just come by and offer more coffee. I got there around 9:30 and there was sis, waiting in the same booth we sit in almost every Friday morning. I love it. We stayed for an hour and a half talking about the family, the farm where she works and boards her horse, local music and musicians, just our regular chit chat.
I could have gone in to school to print out my syllabi for next week, but with the pissing rain and all I figured why bother? I'll have time early next week. Instead I went to Janetos and bought a bag of split peas for 65 cents so I could go home and make split pea soup. When's the last time all I spent at a supermarket was 65 cents? Probably never. All the rest of the ingredients were there in my fridge and cupboards. I'm using a recipe from the old Loaf and Ladle cookbook my mom gave me back in college. It's my first attempt at split pea soup and so far it's looking and smelling very good.
I usually hate all this gray, gloomy January weather, but this time around I'm enjoying it. It's cozy. Which reminds me. I have a hat I need to finish knitting.

No comments: