Thursday, December 29, 2005

New Year's Approaching

I've never really been a big New Years celebrant. I don't like big, fancy parties and they don't really happen in my world anyway. Christmas usually takes most of the urge to celebrate out of me and when New Years comes around mostly I just stay home and maybe stay up until midnight to see that the new year has arrived safely. It might not if I'm not up to greet it.
I'm not feeling much like reflecting on 2005 or making resolutions for 2006. I read an op-ed piece in the New York Times today by some psychologist or professor of psychology and he wrote that research shows that people who analyze their emotions too much are less happy with their lives and that perhaps a lot of what passes for conventional wisdom about having to replay and rework through bad experiences might just not be true. Dwelling is not the answer. Maybe the best way to be is to accept and enjoy what's good and not spend too much time worrying about what isn't. Maybe that's as introspective as I need to be.

No comments: