Tuesday, January 11, 2005

Dense

Don't you just hate it when the most obvious things in the world have to be pointed out for you to notice? I went and had lunch with my dad today and in the course of conversation ended up realizing that what makes the absolutely most sense of all is for me in a revenue-generating/career sort of way is to go back to freelance translating to supplement my meager teacher's pay.
Well, duh! I've only been doing it in varying degrees for 15 years now and know it's the best way for me to make maximum cash while still being around to keep an eye on my girl.
When I get to thinking about why I've neglected to push to get more clients, what I realize is that when I was doing a lot of translating in the past, I more or less hated just about everything else about my life except the money I was making. So in my mind translating came to be associated with near complete social isolation and a really shitty home life. Well, I've made some drastic adjustments in the home and social life areas and I don't need to keep grouping translation in with that certain, past period of personal misery.
These days I notice a lot of associations I have made that tie together ideas that are not necessarily related to each other by anything but chronology in my experience. Certain events happened at similar times and in my mind are therefore linked in some kind of causal relationship that isn't always true. I'm in the process of untying a lot of them.

2 comments:

Dr. W. Sumner Davis said...

You can always gain an education and teach private school or college, either here in the states, or in Canada or Europe.

Pam said...

Thanks for the comment. I already have as much of a formal education as I care to have (an MA in Japanese from the Univ of Hawaii).
Thing is, I want to live around here and the teaching opportunities in my field in this area don't pay a livable wage. Thus the need to supplement with some freelancing. I love teaching, but I still need to pay my bills.