Monday, January 10, 2005

Complex

I think I see the problem here. Or the problem I perceive to exist after reading all these blogs written by women in academia. Now I'll feely admit I am but a minnow nibbling on the algae of academia. There is no tenure track in my future. I am not a doctor of anything, even though I never bother to correct all the students who address me as Professor. I don't write for publication. I don't present at conferences. No faculty senate or steering committees for me. I hate all that shit and the pretentiousness that goes with it. I help my students acquire a skill. We don't scale the dizzying heights (or more accurately, plumb the insufferable depths) of intellectualism in the liberal arts. *big wanking hand motion*
Anyway, the complex mentioned in the title here is not my bottom of the totem pole academic career status. It's that I know I don't get anywhere near the traffic and attention that the other academic attention whores get. And you know why? Because I don't swear enough on this blog. I need to write a lot more using words like "bitch", "whore" and "slut". And my sex life. If I chronicled that in more detail, that'd bring 'em in. I suppose it's not just the academic chicks. Pretty much any popular blog written by a woman that I've ever read has lots of swearing, lots of sex and lots of blatant psychological problems. Now, my real life has plenty of those things, but I must just be too old school (or just... old!?!?! *shudders* ) to write about that kind of thing in public. So, I guess I'm doomed to my quiet little blog that gets lots of hits about the "year of the rooster" lately, but isn't a big, sexy, attention-mongering beast. Oh well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Or just blog about what you do right now and those that enjoy your writing (such as little olde me) will continue to enjoy reading about your life.

Kinga (Kinuk)

Anonymous said...

I don't have any piercings or tattoos to write about. My brother in law has the entire family's share of tattoos and then some. Only thing pierced on me is my ears.
Nope, I guess I'm stuck writing what I write. I'd be way too paranoid to confess my unpreparedness for teaching, if I was unprepared to begin with. I'd hate for a student to be reading and thinking "Hey, she's totally shortchanging us and covering it up with bullshit." I try to be the anti-bullshit teacher.

Pam