Tuesday, July 15, 2003

Marker

I was out walking a nice little black Lab mix as part of my volunteer duties at the shelter on Monday and he and I (yes, I consult with the dog about where we go on our walk) decided to go investigate a tall white marble monument sitting on a hill out behind the county services building and the county jail. The inscription said it was dedicated to those who lost their lives in the Strafford County Farm Asylum fire of 1893. Two sides of the monument were covered with the names of the 41 deceased. I think the majority of them were women.
I'd never heard of the asylum before but it's always seemed like the county offices and courthouse and jail were set away in a lonely part of town out there on County Farm Cross Road. No fancy new housing developments under construction out that way.
Once I got home I did a Google search for Strafford County Farm Asylum fire and came across this account written circa 1914. I also found this Poorhouse History site. The Poorhouses by State pages are pretty interesting and there's also info about Pauper's Cemeteries. Fascinating stuff.

No comments: