Sunday, July 13, 2003

Crafty


I've been on a craft project rampage for the past couple of weeks. It was kicked off by Stef's comment that she would love to sell a certain type of spidery-looking sweater at the store once the season becomes sweatery. I know exactly what she's talking about, even though we can't find any pictures of it, because I inherited the black, stringy, mohair creation from her many years ago, after she was done with it.
I am a knitter and thought I could knit up what she was looking for, but the more I thought about it I realized that it will probably need to be crocheted. So I'm teaching myself to crochet now. The best collections of free crafting information seem to come from About.com, and luckily the new Safari browser takes care of all the annoying pop-up ads that used to drive me nuts on that site. I've made two crocheted halter tops. One is orange and I'll try to sell that at the store. The other is made of variegated yarn in white and shades of pink and its for Rachel. I've also finally learned how to make a nice looking granny square and will try to make a few throw pillows with them. I'll probably start by making a rainbow colored one for Rachel's room. Now that I have the basic form down (see picture above for photographic proof) I can start playing around with color.
My husband still finds the craft side of my personality incongruous with the rest of me. Not sure if that's because it demands attention to detail or because he thinks it's more of a girly homebody pursuit than his image of me reflects. Or maybe it was because the first sweater I ever made for him had such a tight neck that he couldn't fit it over his head and I had to rip it out (the sweater neck, not his head!) and redo it.
Anyway, I was going to post a photo of the pink and white top but my model is still upstairs asleep in her bed.

No comments: