Thursday, July 03, 2003

Local Papers

This blog has been exposed in a local newspaper (or at least in its online edition). Too bad it's the one I think is lame. Have to say I prefer Foster's much more and that's not just because I live in Dover and it's a Dover paper.
Maybe I better go back and check my horoscope or something and see if they mention newspapers in my forecast. Just had a conversation about the local newspapers with my Dad a few days ago and found out we share the same preferences. I grew up reading the Herald so felt loyalty to it, but for years have heard that Foster's is a better paper. Now that I have a little more objectivity about the issue, I have to agree I get much less annoyed reading Fosters.
Then yesterday a reporter from Foster's, who happens to be from Japan, came to interview Stef and Rebecca about Atomic. Stef called in the morning and told me the reporter was coming and that I should stop by the store if I was interested in meeting her. The truth is I often saw Hiroko Sato's byline in the online edition of the paper back when I was in Japan and always wondered what her story was. Yesterday I got my chance to go find out. I and my husband and daughter lurked around the store while Hiroko interviewed Stef and Rebecca and then once the interview was finished Stef introduced us and we pounced. Basically we interviewed her. Found out where she's from, how long she's been in the States, how she wound up in Dover writing for the local paper. I am so impressed with her ability and drive because I have a pretty good idea of how much focus and hard work it would take to get a job writing for a newspaper in your non-native language in your adopted country. The ability to handle the language is just the first hurdle. Battling people's ignorant preconceptions would be a constant, no matter how long you've been at it and how talented you are.
I've always thought that writing for a paper would be the coolest job, but I've always been too wimpy to actually try to do it. Well, that's not exactly true. My first ever regular paychecks were from the Herald for a weekly column I wrote about the junior high school when I was a student there.

No comments: