Monday, July 14, 2003

I Hate Sears: Part 2

Actually, the Sears online order fiasco is just one reason why I hate Sears. What happened after that made me hate Sears even more.
Once we were relieved that the online order had been cancelled (yeah, right) I noticed an email from Sears that said any purchases made that Saturday would receive an additional 10% discount. "Cool!" I thought, "We can just go to the store and order the stuff from there and avoid Sears' shitty online service." (This is the part in the horror movie where the audience shouts, "Don't do it!!! Don't go back in here! It's a trap, you fool! It's a trap!!!")
We went to the store in Newington and after one of the sale clerks found it in herself to break away from the pack of chatting employees to offer us some service, we made our purchase. However, we were told that the merchandise was not in stock so we would have to go pick it up at the warehouse at the end of the following week. She didn't even bother to give us directions to the warehouse, which is not located at the mall where the store is.
I asked my Mom where the Sears warehouse was and she told me. On the appointed day Shiro and I drove down to Portsmouth to pick up our stuff at the warehouse. After waiting a while for someone to appear from the depths of the warehouse, we were given four boxes for our 2 orders. It was only after we lugged the stuff home that I saw we were missing a Box 2 of 2 from the set.
I ruefully got on the phone to Sears customer service again and navigated through the automated answering system maze until I was, miraculously enough, finally connected to someone in the sporting goods department in the store down in Newington. I explained to him about the missing box from our order and he called over to the warehouse and confirmed that they still had our box there. There was no way I was going to fight with the Friday rush hour traffic over the General Sullivan Bridge, so I told him we'd go collect our box the next day.
Saturday afternoon we take another trip down to the Sears Warehouse. I present my receipt to the guy working there and explain the situation. His remark was "Yeah, that was [insert name here]. We all heard about that." No apology. No "sorry for the inconvenience". No "thanks for being so nice about our shitty service".
I really really really fucking hate Sears.

No comments: