Friday, March 18, 2005

Spring Shopping

Shit! Fine. I just wrote a post and then didn't want to lose it so I waited forever for my browser to quit hanging. And then I closed the window I was blogging in by accident. Oh well. It was kind of drivelly anyway.
Blogging has obviously not been high on the list of priorities this vacation week. Oddly enough, shopping for clothes has been. During all the years I spent in Japan I got into the habit of returning to the States twice a year and buying all the clothes I would need for the coming seasons while I was here. When I could find clothes in my size in Japan they were always very expensive and never fit right because they weren't cut for my body shape. (I'm not particularly large by US standards, slightly tall at 5'7" and a solid medium/size 10-ish.) Even though the yard is still buried under a lot of snow, I know spring is coming and I have been in need of clothes for the season. With a week off and a birthday check from my father in my bank account, I figured it was time to do something about it.
I like to go shopping alone because then I don't need to worrying about how long it takes me to decide on anything. The drawback to that is that I don't have anyone to ask if something really looks okay or not. In most stores it's hard enough to find a clerk to let you into the dressing room, never mind give you an opinion on whether something fits or is flattering. And I noticed as I followed many a sales clerk into the dressing room that a lot of them aren't exactly dressing in clothes that fit them very well anyway. I suppose if I went to fancier, more expensive shops I'd get better service, but the Kittery outlets have clothes I can afford. And actually, the clerks at J. Crew were friendly and attentive. So, now I have some new clothes and just need to go ahead and wear them and not leave them in the closet while I wait for an occasion worthy of wearing new things to appear.

No comments: