Friday, March 25, 2005

Easter

I was downtown this morning getting my taxes done at H&R Block. The H&R Block office has one side facing the Cocheco Millworks Courtyard. In the summer there are free lunchtime and evening concerts in the courtyard. Today there was some kind of re-enactment of Jesus on the cross going on in celebration of Easter. While I was waiting to see the tax preparer I watched a man getting dressed for the performance from the back of his SUV. He had on a robe-like garment and I watched him adjust that and then pull on a belt kind of like an obi, except it had elastic sewn into the back. All the while the downtown traffic kept streaming by him.
It looked like there were about ten to a dozen people in costume and another half dozen or so standing around near a table with a few boxes of Dunkin Donuts on it.
I'm not religious by nature and not Christian anyway, so the whole Easter thing is pretty foreign to me. I was kind of taken aback by the religious display taking place in the middle of town, but I guess that's normal around here.

No comments: