Monday, October 23, 2006

Things That Go Knock in the Night

Last night was not a great one for sleep. I was up later then usual putting the finishing touches on a translation job due at 9 a.m. this morning. About twenty minutes after I finally got to bed, the alarm clock in my girl's room went off because it had reset back to the default of midnight when we lost power Saturday night. I had remembered to reset her clock but not the alarm. She was too asleep to deal with it, so I got up, reset it for 6:30 and then went back to to bed. At 3:25 I got up to pee. Then at 5:15 I was awakened by short, sharp warning barks from the dog. Between his barks I could hear someone banging on the door. My first guess was that it was probably somehow going to be my PITA neighbor and I really wanted to just ignore it, but the dog was barking and he is not easy to ignore. Then I thought what if there was a gas leak or some other situation that jeopardized our safety. I got up and went to the door and of course it was my neighbor, in her pink bathrobe, apologizing and explaining that her car keys and phone "were locked in another car" and could she please borrow my phone to make a call. I said sure and brought her the cordless phone. She made her call, mostly likely to her boyfriend, whose car she had left, not locked, her keys and phone in. The dog went and laid back down in his bed. She returned the phone and the dog barked a couple more times for good measure since he remembered she was there. I tried to go back to sleep but my headache from yesterday had returned and instead I took some ibuprofen and got out of bed 20 minutes earlier than usual. I can't wait to no longer gave her as a neighbor.

No comments: