Saturday, July 22, 2006

So Solly!


I'm usually not so much of a collecting-type geek, but this 1963 Waddingtons version of the classic board game Sorry! looks really friggin awesome. It's my favorite passive-aggressive board game, in the first place. And look at that little dude bowing! And there are cherry blossoms and bonsai trees and sort of Chinese looking mountains. It's so 1960s retro-Anglo-Asian. I dig it.

Of course this whole game lust has been spurred by the fact that I bought a new version of Sorry! today at Walmart since my last one is still at the ex's place and not worth the hassle it would take to get it back. They've designed the latest version to look all space-age and astral. A space-robot motif, I guess you could say. I don't like it. I am disproportionately disappointed that the design has strayed so far from the classic, simple lined version I remember playing back in the 70s. I don't want space age Sorry!, I want the more normal one. Except now I want the retro-Anglo-Asian version even more.

No comments: