Sunday, April 24, 2005

Making the Plan

It's been a rainy, dreary weekend so far and that's okay because I need the down time. I felt crappy all week and I'm pretty sure it's due to stress. The semester is going to be ending in a couple of weeks and that means the end of the university paycheck until classes start back up in the fall. I've been really worried about finding a job for the summer, but as fate would have it, my sister hooked me up with a couple of part time jobs that are at least a start in my quest for gainful summer employment.
I think next year is going to be my last year teaching at the university. The talk of the fulltime job that was being dangled in front of me earlier in the semester has evaporated and I'm looking at a third year of no benefits and not enough money to pay the bills and in the mean time the students are all still calling me professor and operating under the assumption that I have some amount of authority to change the way things are at the university. The gap is too big and too disappointing to me. I need a new profession. I've had enough of the bullshit of academia.

No comments: