Sunday, April 13, 2003

Sometimes I wonder if this is all about me seeing if I can just be normal. By "this" I mean the moving back to NH thing. It's so easy to be different in Japan because I look different. Social interactions are different here, at least they are for me. I've been taking early morning walks in the neighborhood and have exchanged greetings with those I meet along my path. It's easy here. Nobody's expecting me to be a certain way. I can just be.
We went to the Cocheco Valley Humane Society in Dover and the NHSPCA in Stratham to scope out the dog scene. We didn't find The One, but I liked the Dover place much better. They probably get by on a fraction of the budget Stratham has, but the people were nicer. The NHSPCA shelter is posh. They must have good fundraising. But nobody there talked to us really. Getting a dog is a big step. It's like having another child, sort of.
I haven't synched up with the pace of this place yet. I'm still all tense and hyped up, yet when I look around everything and everyone is pretty mellow. Not only am I dealing with a Japan-America culture gap but a megaburban- rural culture gap as well. I think I try to kid myself that it's more cosmopolitan here than it is, but I'm not sure why I bother. We're on a school drop off/pick up route so weekdays get busy at times, but on the weekends I bet there are times I could sit for a good 30 minutes before a car passes by my house. Nearest store is 5 minutes by car, probably 20 on foot. That's just not the same as having a 7-11 downstairs from the apartment. I feel more like I am living on the earth when I am in NH. Nature has a very distinct and powerful presence here. I think it has something to do with all the trees. It has forest power. Hawaii has its "mana", a firey volcanic power. Hawaii is overwhelming in its presence. I guess Otsu was lake power. Kind of wet and lulling. Not stagnant, but not very dynamic either.
I'm quite sure I need dynamics. We had out first Bolt practice yesterday and it felt great. This is the first time we don't have some looming return date hanging over our heads. I don't have to be ready to play a gig while I'm still jet lagged. I don't have to go into the studio two days before I'm leaving and after already playing out that night. Those guys have pushed me way beyond my comfort level. And now they' ve got me back for good. Or about as good as anyone can have me.

No comments: