Tuesday, April 29, 2003

It's been exactly three weeks since we arrived back in NH. Rachel is in school. All basic systems are up and functioning. We even bought a car on eBay (1998 Subaru Forester. It's kind of like our old Honda HRV on steriods) that we will probably go pick up this weekend. I know I said I was going to stay at home and be the point person for a couple of months to help get everyone settled here, but when I went into Tuttle's this morning to do a little shopping I couldn't help but notice the big HELP WANTED sign out front. Tuttle's is ultimately cool to me. It is the oldest family farm and family business in America, established 1632. They have a nice gourmet market, a flower shop and a garden center. I went in and cruised around the garden center to see what they had going since they are just starting up for the growing season. Did my shopping-- veggies, some Piscataqua Coffee beans ("Made in Dover"), 8 day-old bagels for $2.68 (what a score!), fuji apples and some lemon-lime candy fruit slices-- and on the way out stopped at the flower shop desk and asked for an application. The guy said they may still be looking for someone part time.
I came home and filled out the application but it's kind of ridiculous when you get to the prior employment section. I listed phone numbers but I really doubt they would call Japan to verify my job performance with my former bosses. Well, maybe my "past" will help me stand out from the pack. On the 4.5 lines I had to describe my special skills and qualification I wrote about how my teaching experience has left me with good interpersonal communication skills and attention to detail and that as a returned area native I really want to work for a local business.
What I really wanted to write was-- "I want to work here because you guys have been around since 1632. You sell fresh local produce and all kinds of gourmet products, with an emphasis on local companies, and have an awesome garden center. This place is totally cool!"-- but I figure that would look kind of unprofessional and provide them with absolutely no insight into why they should hire me, aside from the fact that I am enthusiastic about their business.

No comments: