Wednesday, April 02, 2003

MTV.com - News -White Stripes' Latest Is Fueled By Discomfort, Not Cappuccino

White Stripes. Have to admit I've only listened to what I've downloaded off the internet, but I kind of dig their policy. The commitment to creating within a specific form reminds me of classical Japanese poetry in the same way the blues do. You have a set framework, for example the 5-7-5-7-7 phrasing of waka or a 12 bar blues progression. You have certain elements that must be included-- seasonal words in poetry, hard times in the blues. The White Stripes have their form (guitar and drums, no digital equipment, and the blues influence too, of course) and find creative freedom and expression within it.
I've explained this theory in better detail in the past, but tonight it's not flowing. Anyway, I think White Stripes are cool.

No comments: