Thursday, February 13, 2003

Finished up with that exam marking finally today. After that went out with "the boys" in Kyoto, first to Hill of Tara and then to Flamingo. Flamingo might be the coolest bar in Kyoto. Cool layout and decor, good music (don't really have the lingo down, but I'd tag it ambient trance or something close to that). Learned way too much about my colleagues' formative childhood erotic experiences. I wonder what's up with that? Do I really need to be privy to what's going in in their heads? It doesn't bug me or offend me. It's the true human condition so there's no use in denying it. Kind of interesting to hear their truths and see how much it does or doesn't differ from the images I had. Was told that basically I am Elaine (yeah, from Seinfeld), which kind of makes sense to me.
I'm tired and shivering and need to drink a couple of big glasses of water and get to bed. I'll leave you with one of the more foreboding yet potentially accurate essays I read today. They were asked whether they thought students should study modern history.
***** I think so. Japanese students know a few things. Therefore, awful things will happen.

No comments: