Sunday, July 04, 2004

My New Town

A couple of months ago I moved to a town that's about ten miles away from where I used to live. I had never spent much time here before that, just passed through sometimes on the back way to my mom's house. But I always felt a certain fascination with this town. It's an old mill town with a population of about 7,000. The main drag has mills along the river on one side and a collection of small business on the other. One of the mills and several other buildings in town are made of granite. There's not a whole lot to the downtown commerce; a few restaurants, the post office, a laundromat, a book and coffee shop, a pet grooming studio, a flower shop and back up on Zion Hill, behind the main street, is the Stone Church, which was once one of the best places to see live music in the NH seacoast area. Looks like it will be again soon.
This town is very crunchy in a slightly goth kind of way. It's just five miles from the university, so a lot of students live here. You see lots of tattoos, piercings, short spiky hair, dreadlocks and other general grooviness if you hang out downtown for any length of time. It's all very laid back though, Maybe that's just because it's summer. Anyway, I like it here and I'm glad I've gotten the chance to live here and check it out.

No comments: