Thursday, November 29, 2007

Looking Back

I hear myself tell people that I lived in Japan for 12 years, but I swear I don't remember most of it. It seemed like 12 very long years at the time, but now it's pretty much faded into memories of onigiri, convenience stores, discontent and fun nights out with friends. I think that's what I miss the most-- the nights out at Tokaiya in Seta, or any good izakaya, putting down beers and good food with friends after work. Walking home to Kayanoura all buzzed with Mike or Dave. Maybe stopping by the conbini for one last beer to drink beside the lake. That part was good.
The rest of it? I don't know. I spent a lot of time trying really hard and still felt like most of what I did wasn't right or good enough. That's not Japan's fault. There were other ways to approach it. I just wasn't able to do it that way.

No comments: