Thursday, February 05, 2004

Pet Peeve of the Moment

Those people who drive around Durham with their little cardboard faculty parking passes hanging from their rearview mirrors really bug me. I don't take that thing out in public until I'm parked in the parking lot and the first thing I do when I get back in the car is take off the damn pass and put it away. Otherwise you're just driving around town saying "Oooh! Look at me! I teach at The University!"
Yeah, I realize I probably have issues with this, but I hate how people seem to assume that if you teach at the college level it means you're somehow smarter or a better teacher than people who teach at the elemenary and secondary levels. I don't buy that for a minute. I'm pretty sure "regular" teachers work a lot harder than most college professors. Too bad they don't get the recognition (or pay) they deserve.

No comments: