Friday, February 08, 2008

Couch to 5K Update

I just finished Week 4 of the Couch to 5K training plan. So far it's going good, even though it is officially more like my fifth week since I did an extra day of a couple of the weeks' plans. The first and second weeks were pretty easy in a lot of ways; psychologically they weren't tough but all my ever-aging tendons and joints needed the time to get used to what I was doing. Week three was good. Week four had me worried at the beginning because it had me running for longer intervals. The first day was a bit tough and this morning I was not feeling very inspired to go finish up day three. So, I convinced myself to just go to the gym and ride the bike, not run. I figured some sort of cardio was preferable to not doing anything because I didn't feel like running.

Then, once I got to the gym there I was on the treadmill finishing up the third day of week 4's workout. It turned out to feel pretty good and, just like the previous weeks, I was able to increase my speed for all of the intervals. I'm still not a fast "runner" (okay, jogger) by anyone's standards, but I'm improving. I haven't lost any weight, but I feel a whole lot less jiggly in the butt and thighs than I did a month ago. And the point isn't weight loss, the point is to run this on Mother's Day with my girl.

No comments: