Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I think I have Postcard Syndrome again. It's a much more pleasant experience than the Supermarket Vertigo I get sometimes.
I clearly recall several summers back when I was here visiting and every place I looked seemed like it could have been a scenic postcard. Every street I drove down and every vista I spied made a perfect Polaroid moment backdrop. It must be the lushness that comes when the weather is being beneficient.
Anyway, it's very postcard-y for me these days. There are all kinds of flowering trees showing their stuff now. Not just the white-pink or baby pink of the cherry blossoms in Japan, which is were I got turned on to the whole flowering tree concept in general, but everything from white to yellow to fuschia, a whole spectrum of pinks and purples, in every size from baby trees to huge majestic ones. It's all very impressive. And it's kind of interesting to see it in contrast to Japan and the uniform beauty of the cherry blossoms all blooming in more or less the same color at more or less the same time. Now isn't that something to think about?
This morning I got up and took the dog out and realized the big lilac tree was in bloom by the fragrance before I noticed the blossoms. I broke off a little sprig and put it in a vase on the kitchen table because neither Shiro nor Rachel have any experience with lilacs. (It's the NH state flower, if you didn't know.)
I got the lawn 3/4 mowed before it started raining today. Of course I started at the back this time because I didn't get to it last week. It turned from cloudy to light drizzle to a shower by the time I got to the front of the house, so I had to abandon ship. Now the back yard looks great and the front looks like a bad haircut. Oh well.

No comments: