Sunday, July 06, 2003

To The Sea

I should probably keep my mouth shut, but then again it's not like there's heaps of you out there scoping my blog for the next Hot Spot. The best public beach access from around these parts just may be Seapoint Beach in Kittery. I'm so used to thinking of Rye when I think of the beach because I grew up right in town in Portsmouth and every summer biked to Pirate's Cove every day. I'm sure it's not even called Pirate's Cove anymore since the restaurant of that name went bust years ago and it's not even a cove to begin with, but I don't know what it's called now. Private-- probably.
We went to the Kittery beach this afternoon and the drive down 103 was beautiful. The parking was effortless. Of course the water was freezing, but what do you expect? No one's ever going to confuse Maine with Hawaii.
And it was so much fun driving home, crossing over 95 on route 236 and seeing all the south-bound traffic of the holiday weekenders creepy crawling along on the slog back home. Can't wait until mid-September when the dog restrictions are lifted on the beaches and the tourists have all gone back home.
I think the next swimming spot I want to scope out is Packer's Falls in Durham. I went when I was high school and it was really nice. Easy to get to too, as far as I remember.

No comments: